The Bourke Street Bakery shares a winning recipe for a soft, sweet loaf of bread.
85 g butter
170 g sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
185 g plain flour
1 g bicarbonate of soda
2 g baking powder
5 g cornflour
5 g ground cinnamon
2 g salt
305 g ripe bananas
130 g apples, grated
(Makes 1 loaf)
- Make this recipe using a benchtop mixer.
- Cream the butter and sugar on low speed, then slowly add the lightly beaten eggs.
- Sieve the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cornflour, cinnamon and salt into another bowl.
- Fold the flour mixture by hand into the creamed butter, sugar and egg.
- Mash the bananas and combine with the grated apple and then fold this through the mixture.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200ºC.
- Spoon the mixture into an oiled 18 x 10 x 6 cm bread tin. Reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC and bake for 35–40 minutes.
- Test the loaf with a knife or skewer. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked.