The Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Foundation shows us a fresh way to prepare this flowery delight.
The lime yoghurt is a simple but tasty addition to the cauliflower fritters, which are always lovely during winter. Just watch how long the cauliflower cooks – until it is tender but before it is mushy.
This recipe is adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Ottolenghi, the Cookbook (Ebury Press, 2008)
Serves: 6 as a side dish
500 g cauliflower, cut or broken into small florets
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped finely
4 tablespoons flatleaf parsley, chopped finely, plus a few extra leaves to garnish
½ onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons roasted and ground cumin
180 g plain flour
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
300 g Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Make the lime yoghurt first. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Combine the lime juice and zest, coriander, yoghurt and oil then season to taste wit h salt and. Keep in the fridge while you make the fritters.
2. Turn the oven on to 150°C and place serving dishes inside to warm.
3. Place the cauliflower florets in a large saucepan of boiling water and cook over medium heat.
4. Test after 15 minutes – the cauliflower should be cooked until it is tender but not mushy.
5. Drain in the colander in the sink.
6. While the cauliflower is cooking, whisk together the onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, eggs, flour, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
7. When it’s all mixed well, add the warm cauliflower and stir with the wooden spoon, breaking down the cauliflower into the batter.
8. Heat the frying pan and add vegetable oil.
9. When the oil is hot, place spoonfuls of batter carefully into the oil. The fritters should be about 5 cm wide and shouldn’t be too close together, or the pan will get too cool and the fritters will run into each other.
10. Cook for about 4 minutes then carefully turn over with the egg slice and cook the other side for 4 minutes.
11. Drain the fritters on kitchen paper. Keep them warm in the oven while you finish making them.