Treat yourself to the chewy goodness of ANZAC biscuits – a healthier way.
Alis Alexander of mioViva is a foodie from the Blue Mountains with a passion for naturally delicious, wholesome and balanced eating. She’s also a qualified nutritionist, and believes that a lifelong nutritious diet is achieved when we appreciate, enjoy and care for our food.
Here she shares her healthier version of the traditional ANZAC biscuit…
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20-30 min
Makes: 12 biscuits
1 cup wholegrain oats
1/2 cup of almonds, ground (almond meal)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of organic dessicated coconut
1/4 cup of stevia
2 1/2 tablespoons macadamia oil, coconut oil or organic butter
4 tablespoons organic maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Combine oats, buckwheat flour, coconut, ground almonds and stevia in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Heat oil (or butter) and maple syrup in a small saucepan on low heat, stir to combine. When boiling, combine baking soda and boiling water in a small cup then add it to the oil and maple syrup mixture. Stir, the mixture will froth and foam. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract.
4. Make a well in your dry ingredients and pour in the oil-maple syrup mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
5. Form into 12 balls and flatten into rounds. Place in the oven to cook:
– 20 minutes for soft and chewy (this how I like them!)
– 25-30 minutes for hard and crispy
6. Leave to cool on a rack. Eat!
Tips and variations
- Substitute maple syrup with 2 tablespoons of honey (honey is sweeter than maple syrup)
- Substitute buckwheat flour with wholemeal flour
- For crispier biscuits, divide mixture into 20 balls and flatten into rounds.
Find more recipes and foodie resources at mioviva.com.au