Pancakes can be as simple or as fancy as you like. Here's a basic pancake recipe to get you started.
Basic pancake recipe
This is a great, classic base for your pancake mix. Once you feel confident with this you can vary it to your heart’s content – try using buckwheat flour or whole-wheat flour to increase the fibre content, mix in some chia seeds, oats or pumpkin seeds for a nutritious boost, or play around with stirring in berries, applesauce or a wide range of other fillings.
This recipe makes about 12 pancakes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons melted butter (plus more butter for cooking)
Maple syrup or fresh fruit to serve
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk and whisk together. The mixture should be a pouring consistency.
3. Melt some butter on the pan until it foams and sizzles. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and cook until the top of the pancake is full of bubbles and the bottom is golden brown.
4. Flip the pancake and cook the other side. About a minute on each side should be all you need.
5. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Pancake topping ideas
This is the fun part! Make your pancakes sweeter or more savoury depending on the toppings you choose. Get creative and mix and match to create your perfect treat.
Some topping ideas include:
- Fresh fruit
- Shredded coconut
- Maple syrup
- Ricotta (or other soft cheese)
- Lemon butter
- Lemon juice
- Fruit puree
Fancy pancake recipes
Now that you’ve got a handle on the basics, you can make your pancakes your own by experimenting with different tastes, flavours and textures. Here are two delicious recipes to try your hand at…
Buckwheat banana pancakes
This recipe by the Mindful Foodie’s Lesh Karan offers a nourishing take on pancakes, with buckwheat flour, natural yogurt and banana providing wholesome goodness and delicious flavour.
Sticky date pancakes
An aromatic blend of dates, cinnamon, ginger and golden syrup make these pancakes the perfect treat.